Thursday

A Harvest

One thing about being gone is that when you come back all of y our lovely plants have grown like crazy! Why they can't do that when you watch them and care for them every day I have no idea. Any who... When I cam home my rhubarb was in desperate need of a harvest. Don't believe me? Here is what I picked just yesterday:


Check out how thick these guys are!


Now, you might be thinking that that is all of my plants and I would have to tell you no. Not only is this not even half of any of my plants but  about 2x this much still needs harvested!!!  I could wait until they were a little more red but there are so many stalks that they are hindering each others growth.

Now the question may arise, what did I do with it all? 
I chop it all up and get to work, that's what!

I made 3 Royal Rhubarb Coffee Cakes which is a favorite around here.



And then I made 4 containers of jam, froze a gallon bag worth and gave another bag away. 

So, now my question is what to do with all the rest that I have coming my way?
When the strawberries finally catch up (it would probably help if I stop eating them as they ripen) I'll make a few strawberry-rhubarb pies, my favorite!!!

How about you?What's your favorite rhubarb recipe? 





No comments:

Post a Comment